Rising Star Scholars
The Rising Star Scholarship Program is a partnership between Resident Services, Incorporated (RSI) and the Resident Advisory Board (RAB) that provides need and merit-based scholarships to students who have been accepted to accredited higher learning institutions.
Launched in 2009 thanks to a generous contribution from a local construction company, the program is designed to encourage academic excellence and foster leadership potential in young people. The program provides financing to the selected colleges of the scholarship recipients, while also providing post-secondary education, role models and cultural enrichment opportunities. The contributions directly support RSI's Rising Star Scholarship Endowment Fund, which enables gifted and talented college-bound youth to attain their academic goals. As of 2017, each Rising Star scholar receives a $5,000 scholarship ($1,250 per year for four years). The Rising Star Scholarship program has raised $38,000 in 2017!
- Must be on the lease and a current resident of HABC public housing, rehabilitated housing, or the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8).
- A graduating high school senior who has been accepted for admission or is awaiting acceptance to an accredited college or university.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.50 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
Support the Rising Star Scholars!
You can help support a college-bound youth by making a tax-deductible donation to the Rising Star Scholarship Fund today. Making an online donation is quick, easy and secure. To make your gift by PayPal, choose an amount from the drop down menu below and click the PayPal button. If you have any questions about making your gift, call 443-984-1896 or email email@example.com. Thank you for supporting a Rising Star Scholar. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of Baltimore City's future leaders of tomorrow.
Resident Services Inc. (RSI) is a 501(c)(3) organization. Therefore, your contribution is tax deductible.
The Rising Star Scholarship Golf Tournament
The Rising Star Scholarship Golf Tournament is a charity tournament that fully supports the gifted and talented college bound youth, Rising Stars, who reside in Baltimore City Public Housing. The 2017 scholarship was awarded to:
- Avery Williams is a 2017 graduate of Baltimore Polytechnic Institute. He holds a 3.5 GPA. He will attend the Howard University where he will major in Electrical Engineering.
- Sheila Shaheed is a 2017 graduate of Western High School. He holds a 4.16 GPA. She will attend the Howard University where she will major in Biology.
- Tatyana Allen is a 2017 graduate of Cristo Rey High School with a GPA of 3.55. She will attend Stevenson University where she will major in Business Management.
- George Magege is a 2017 graduate of August Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts with a GPA of 3.48. He will attend Salisbury University and plans to major in Business Administration and Law.
- Brionna Lewis is a 2017 graduate of Vivian Thomas Medical Academy High School with a GPA of 3.2. She plans to attend Morgan State University where she will major in Nursing.
2017 Rising Star Scholarship Recipients
2016 Rising Star Scholarship Golf Tournament