Top Skip to content
Michael Braverman, Acting Commissioner/Acting Executive Director Mayor Catherine E. Pugh

Facts About Lead Paint

Lead is a poisonous metal that was used in the making of household paints prior to 1978. Even though its use was banned, lead still remains a hazard in many houses built before 1978. When something with lead in it starts to deteriorate, it can chip, peel or become dust and can become exposed. If humans ingest lead paint, it can be poisonous. It particularly affects development of young children.

Lead poisoning can cause issues such as

Lead poisoning can be prevented and controlled by: